Chinatown writer revisits childhood memories
By Guo Shipeng
William Wong, author of Yellow Journalist: Dispatches from Asian America and Images of America: Oakland’s Chinatown, was born in the Chinatown in 1941 and spent the first 20 years of his life in the neighborhood.
Wong now lives in Piedmont, but he makes regular trips back to the Chinatown to meet friends and do shopping. Play the sound slideshow to view the photos and listen to Wong talk about his emotional attachment to the Chinatown. Click here to visit Wong’s OAKLAND CHINATOWN HISTORY website.
Last 5 posts by sguo
- Chinatown author tells family stories under Exclusion Act - December 20th, 2008
- Chinatown looks forward on anniversary of Exclusion Act repeal - December 20th, 2008
- Audio: Chinatown taps its youth for Cantonese Opera talents - December 7th, 2008
- Audio: Chinatown's Red Beans back from Canton opera show - December 4th, 2008
- Video: Chinatown elders' early Thanksgiving party - November 25th, 2008